- 1 Package of Archway Dutch Cocoa Cookies
- ¼ cup of melted butter
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 10 eggs (room temperature)
- 4 lbs. ricotta (strained for 15-20 minutes)
- 12 ounces, semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup, chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. juice of half an orange
- 2 Tsp. orange zest (separated)
- ¼ cup of a quality rum
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a food processor, combine the cookies (break them up a bit) melted butter, and brown sugar. Pulse the mixture until breadcrumb consistency is achieved.
- Pour into a buttered 12" spring form pan and press into the bottom and up the sides.
- In a large bowl, whip the eggs until frothy.
- Stir in, sugar, orange juice, 1 tsp. of remaining orange zest, rum, maraschino cherries, and chocolate chips.
- Add the ricotta, and continue stirring until thoroughly blended.
- Pour filling into crust.
- Bake one hour on lower rack and until firmly set and top is nicely browned. Use a thin knife to test. Knife should come out clean, but may look a little wet, and that’s okay! Cassatta is a very moist cake. Allow to cool.
- May be served at room temperature or chilled.